Thursday, May 26, 2011

Through the Eyes of a Soldier

His eyes demanded attention; looking away was not an option. Something reflected there told me he had seen things the rest of us could never begin to imagine.

Through the eyes of a soldier I live each day. They haunt me each time I look into the mirror, my breath catching as cold gray steel glares back at me.

When I dream, I see only what he has been through while serving two tours. I do not know the names of the men that have tried to kill me or those that I have killed in order to survive. I am haunted by the faces of the men, women and children encountered in war.

Each day I felt more of my own identity slip away as Sergeant Eli Stevens crept deeper into my mind. If I had known what accepting this transplant would mean to my sanity, I would have chosen to go blind.

No comments:

Post a Comment